- Bean-Folkes, J. (2012). Schools of Hope: Teaching Literacy in the Obama Era. In E. Thomas (Ed.) Reading the African American Experience in the Obama Era: A Handbook for Teaching, Learning, and Activism. p. 71-87. New York: Peter Lang.
- Bean-Folkes, J. & Bartley-Carter, D. (in Press). How Best to Support Students Who Speak Non-Dominant Varieties in a Writing Classroom. In Peele-Eady (Ed.) Integrating Home and Heritage Languages in Schools: Pedagogy and Promise, NCTE/Routledge Series on Multilingualism. Manuscript submitted for publication.
- Bean-Folkes, J., Browne, S., & Rose, C. (Accepted). No Excuses Believing and Achieving. In Patton Davis (Ed.) Re-authoring Savage Inequalities: Counter-Narratives of Striving and Success in Urban Education, Teachers College Press.
- Thomas, E., Bean-Folkes, J. & Coleman, J.J. (2020). Restorying Critical Literacies, In E. B Moje, P. Afflerbach, P. Enciso and N. K. Lesaux (Eds.) Handbook of Reading Research, Literacy Research Annual Review, Vol V.
- Bean-Folkes, J., Browne, S. & Luet, K., (2020). Reflections on Equipping Candidates to Teach Literacy in Culturally Diverse Schools. The Educational Form. doi: 10.1080/00131725.2020.1744782.
- Alaniz, C., Bean-Folkes, J., Bemiss, E., Corbin, S., Fain, J., Leigh, R., and Summerlin, J. (2020). The 2019 Notable Children’s Books in the English Language Arts. Language Arts, 97(4), 259-273.
- Diana, P., Alaniz, C., Bean-Folkes, J., Corbin, S., Fain, J., Leigh, R., and Sanders, S. (2019). The 2018 Notable Children’s Books in the English Language Arts. Language Arts, 96(4), 250-264.
- Bean-Folkes, J. & Lewis, T. (2018). Teaching in a culture of love: An open dialogue about African American student learning. School Community Journal., 28(2).
- Bean-Folkes, J., Jewett, P., Alaniz, C., Corbin, S., Porter, D., Sanders, J., and Sims, H. (2018). The 2017 Notable Children’s Books in the English Language Arts. Language Arts, 95(4), 248-262.
- Bean-Folkes, J., Jewett, P., Alaniz, C., Corbin, S., Porter, D., Sanders, J., and Sims, H. (2017). In Imaginative Pursuit: The 2017 Notable Children’s Books in the Language Arts. Journal of Children’s Literature, 43(2), 43-56.
- Bean-Folkes, J. (2015). A Tale of Words. Perspectives and Provocations, NCTE-Early Childhood Education Assembly. (2)2, 1-6.
- Bean-Folkes, J. (2015). Student’s Linguistic Knowledge in the Writing Classroom. Literacy & Social Responsibility, ejournal, ILA. 8(1), 15-25.
- Bean-Folkes, J. (2014). Why I Teach – The Power of Language. The Reading Teacher. 68(2), 159.
- Bean-Folkes, J. (2011). The Why Behind Teacher Research. Childhood Education. 87(5), 357-360.
- Bean-Folkes, J., Campbell, R. (2019). Teaching Writing and Reading: A Book of Language Lessons. Iowa: Kendall Hunt.
- Bean-Folkes, J. (2014). Leaving Space in Language Instruction for Messy Thinking. Heinemann, Online
- Bean-Folkes, J. (2011). Culturally diverse children’s books for your classroom library, including ten great starter books.School Talk, 16(4), 1-3.